Withdrawal Policy/Leave of Absence


Students who find it necessary to withdraw from all of their classes for the current semester or for a subsequent semester for which they have already registered must complete a Total Withdrawal Request Form. This form must be submitted by the end of the 12th week of classes for the semester in which they wish to withdraw. The withdrawal form and instructions are available from the dean or advisory center of each school or college. Students who are physically unable to complete the withdrawal in person, students who are administratively withdrawn, and students who have special needs due to extenuating circumstances should contact their dean’ s office or advisory center for assistance.

Students considering a total withdrawal should note the following:

  • The effective date of the withdrawal will be the date on which EM/Records receives the completed withdrawal request form.
  • By registering for courses, students accept financial responsibility for payment for those courses and for any other charges incurred while they are enrolled.
  • Financial aid may be adjusted or canceled as a result of withdrawal and may require repayment of loan funds. Adjustments to financial aid awards will be calculated according to University and Federal refund guidelines based on the official withdrawal date.
  • Once the withdrawal has been completed, students will receive a grade of “W” for each course.
  • Students who reside in University housing are required to check out of their residence hall within 24 hours of completing the total withdrawal process.
  • Completing a total withdrawal from the University requires that students surrender all University property, including, but not limited to library books, room keys, computer cards, and identification/access cards.
  • Students who complete a total withdrawal from the University must apply for or request readmission to the University by published deadlines. The procedure for readmission depends on the length of the student’s absence from the University.

Students should report first to the office of the dean or advisory center of their school or college to obtain a Total Withdrawal Request Form, and to discuss the reasons for and the implications of the withdrawal. Students who decide to continue with the withdrawal process should have the withdrawal form signed by their dean or the dean’s designee, obtain readmission instructions, and then proceed as follows to the offices that correspond with their student status:

  • Veterans, students with disabilities, and students who have judicial stipulations should report to the Office of Special Student Services, Suite 725, Howard Center
  • International students must report to the Office of International Student Services, Rm. 119, Blackburn Center
  • Students who reside in University housing must report to the Office of Residence Life, Tubman Quadrangle
  • Students who received any type of financial aid (including scholarships, grants, and loans) must report to the Office of Financial Aid, Scholarships, and Student Employment, Rm. 205 Administration Building to discuss the effect of withdrawal on their award(s) and potential financial aid over payment
  • All students must report to the Office of Student Financial Services. Rm. 218, Administration Building to discuss the status of and adjustments to their account.
  • All students must report to EM/Records, Rm. 104 Administration Building to submit the completed Total Withdrawal Request form and surrender their CapstoneCard.