Howard University School of Law (HUSL) adheres to the federal and American Bar Association Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar (ABA) definitions of a credit hour. ABA Standard 310 states, “(a) A law school shall adopt, publish, and adhere to written policies and procedures for determining the credit hours that it awards for coursework. (b) A ‘credit hour’ is an amount of work that reasonably approximates: (1) not less than one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and two hours of out-of-class student work per week for fifteen weeks, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or (2) at least an equivalent amount of work as required in subparagraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution, including simulation, field placement, clinical, co-curricular, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.” While Interpretation 310-1 notes that “[f]or purposes of this Standard, fifty minutes suffices for one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction…[a]n ‘hour’ for out-of-class student work is sixty minutes. In addition, the fifteen-week period may include one week for a final examination. Interpretation 310-2 permits a school to “award credit hours for coursework that extends over any period of time, if the coursework entails no less than the minimum total amounts of classroom or direct faculty instruction and of out-of-class student work specified in Standard 310(b).
The School of Law defines an in-class hour as requiring a minimum of 50 minutes, with the exception of clinics and externships. The academic year is comprised of three semesters: Fall 2017 (15 weeks); Spring 2018 (15 weeks); and Summer 2018 (8 ½ weeks).
Fall 2017 – August 21 – November 29, 2017
Spring 2018 – January 8 – April 25, 2018
- 4 credit hours at 3 times per week (M/T/Th) - 42 class days at 70 minutes per class
- 3 credit hours at 3 times per week (M/T/Th) - 42 class days at 50 minutes per class
- 3 credit hours at 2 times per week (T/Th) – 29 class days at 75 minutes per class
3 credit hours at 1 time per week
- Tuesday – 15 class days at 150 minutes per class
- Wednesday – 15 class days at 150 minutes per class
- Thursday – 15 class days at 150 minutes per class
- 2 credit hours at 1 time per week - 15 class days at 100 minutes per class
Summer 2016 – May 21 – July 11, 2018
- 4 credit hours at 2 times per week (M/W or T/Th) – 15 class days at 190 minutes per class