3-401 Prior Approval Required for Transfer Credit
Credit toward graduation from Howard University School of Law will be granted for a course or courses taken at another law school only if the student has obtained the written approval of the Student Affairs Committee prior to taking the course or courses. (The Student Affairs Committee has adopted standards and guidelines for the granting of such approval. Copies of the guidelines are available in the Office of Student Affairs.)
3-402 Minimum Grade Required for Transfer Credits
Transfer credits will be allowed only for a course in which the grade earned was a “C” (or a 70 on the Howard University School of Law grading scale).
3-403 Effect of Transfer Credits on GPA
Approved transfer credits will be applied toward the hour and course requirements for a degree, but will not be considered for the purpose of determining cumulative weighted averages.
3-404 Transfer Credits for Required Courses
Permission to take any required course for transfer credit must be obtained from the Student Affairs Committee. Permission will not be given unless the following conditions are met:
- The course is not being offered that semester at the Howard School of Law;
- The student cannot take the course the next time it is offered without undue hardship;
- The student has an extraordinary excuse for not taking or not passing the course prior to the petition;
- geThe course as offered at the other school is at least equivalent in subject coverage and hour content to the course offered at Howard University School of Law; and
- The course is being taught at or through an ABA-accredited law school.
3-405 Transfer Credits for Elective Courses
A student seeking transfer credit toward graduation for an elective course must submit a written request for permission to do so to the Student Affairs Committee. A student seeking transfer credit toward graduation for an elective course must submit a written request for permission to do so to the Student Affairs Committee.
- Permission to receive transfer credit toward graduation for an elective course will usually be granted.
- A student petitioning to take a course at another law school must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 78 at Howard University School of Law at the time of his or her petition.
- To receive credit, a student must earn a grade of “C” or higher in the course taken at another law school.
- The school where the class is to be taken must be ABA approved.
- A student is limited to 30 transfer credits